The loss of human connection occurs in obvious and subtle ways. Social media followers, likes, and shares drive marketing – communication is via email, text, meme, and emoji. Businesses continue to turn to automation and AI.
When businesses and recruiters add technology into the hiring process, the need for meaningful human connection increases exponentially. Automation is a tool! Just as a hammer makes it easier to drive a nail through the wood, automation is there to streamline the process.
Within your business processes, technology cannot replace the human connection! People need people!
The Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) states: “Often, our social connections fall by the wayside. But connecting with others is more important than you might think. Social connection can lower anxiety and depression, help us regulate our emotions, lead to higher self-esteem and empathy, and actually improve our immune systems.”
Emotional Intelligence and Team Fit
OfficeTeam conducted a study in 2017. Emotional intelligence (EQ) and IQ are equally important in the workplace. Someone who understands, uses, and manages their own emotions in positive ways is a valuable employee! Even one staff without good EQ can bring an office down.
As overhauling your existing staff is not an option in most cases, consider adding in the Team-Fit assessments offered by SmartHire to improve the quality and effectiveness of communications. Discover how different personalities work together. Minimize conflict, improve communication, and optimize effectiveness in your team
Become More Emotionally Intelligent When Hiring
- Keep the needs of the company and the candidate in mind; always make a candidate feel comfortable during the hiring process
- Use technology and science to save time in the process – take the extra time to get on the phone to connect!
- Use behavioural interview questions to find the emotionally intelligent candidate(s)
- Seek signs of empathy, forgiveness, and positivity during an interview – basically, pay attention to the language used when describing emotion
- Pay attention to the attitudes and language used by existing staff – is there a ‘toxic employee’ in the office?
- Encourage staff and management to regularly connect with their co-workers (in-office and remote-workers)
No one likes to be seen (or treated) like a number in a company. New hires, and existing staff, need positive human connections to thrive.
So, how can SmartHire help? Our aim is to give you back the time to truly connect with your employees, customers, and candidates. Contact us today.